Sunday, June 15, 2014

dansk 7

On Thursday I visited the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek. This collection is dominated by sculpture, but there was a nice little handful of French and Danish paintings from the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Here are some of my favorites:

Generally I can take or leave ancient sculpture, but I like the way they displayed fragments in this museum.

Two Tall Poplars, Christen Købke, 1836

Study of Standing Horse, Johan Thomas Lundbye, 1847
I fell kind of hard for this guy. He was a Danish artist who studied with the Royal Danish Academy, but he died young.

In the middle of the museum is a winter garden (green house) that's really nice.

Sailing Vessel in Moonlight, Paul Gauguin, 1878
I've never cared much for Gauguin's style, but this collection had some nice pieces that I wouldn't have associated with him.

Flowers and Cats, Paul Gauguin, 1899

Pink Roses, Vincent Van Gough, 1890

Lunch, Edouard Vuillard, 1909

The Execution of the Emperor Maximilian, Edouard Manet, 1867

Ballerina sculpture by Edgar Degas
(also, I didn't get a close up of it, but the big painting behind her is Manet's The Absinthe Drinker and it made me cry by myself in the middle of the museum.)

Shadows on the Sea, The Cliffs at Pourville, Claude Monet, 1882

Spanish Lady in Crinoline, Pablo Picasso, 1901

Bronze sculptures by Degas

They didn't have a title or artist for this but I thought it was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment